selling your house

Selling your house: What documents do you need?

What documents do you need to sell your house?

Selling your house can be an exciting time! You’re potentially moving somewhere else, starting fresh and possibly getting a nice cash sum in the process. But it’s also a time when your best organisational skills are required. First time sellers can be taken aback sometimes with the amount of paperwork you’re required to have. We’ve broken down the documents you’ll need to sell your house and what they mean.

1. Management Information Pack

You may only need to acquire a management information pack if your property is a leasehold, but always check with your estate agent and/or solicitor.

If you’re looking to sell your property quickly, then this is crucial to have almost as soon as your property goes on the market! It can take a few weeks to arrive so order it as soon as you decide to sell! You can get a management information pack through your solicitor, freeholder or managing agent.

The management information pack contains important information for buyer’s and can easily sway their decision to buy or not. 

2. Proof of identity

Surprisingly, the proof of identity is what trips up a lot of sellers. You’ll need recent documents (within the last 3 months) such as bills, bank statements etc, with your current address on them. You’ll also be required to show your photo ID such as a driver’s licence or passport.  

If you don’t currently possess a form of photo ID then it’s advised you apply for a drivers licence as it can take as little time as one week. Photo ID will make your life much easier but if you can’t get a form of photo ID, then you will be required to show your full birth certificate. Some birth certificates are only half, not full so you’ll need to obtain a full version. 

It’s always best to have this in order before your property goes on the market as some buyers may leave a deal if there are too many delays. But your estate agent/solicitor will advise you on everything required to sell your house.

3. Leasehold/ shared freehold documents

Depending on the type of leasehold/shared freehold agreement you have, you will need to provide either a lease or share certificate. 

4. Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

EPC’s are a legal requirement whether you’re selling or renting. You need to have an EPC done every 10 years and you’ll need an in date certificate when selling. There are many EPC qualified technicians to pick from so make sure this is done before your house goes to market. Some agents may even refuse to put your house on the market without an in date EPC.

If you lose your certificate, you can easily find a copy on the EPC Register

5. Property Title Deeds

When selling your house, you’ll need the original property title deeds which are used to state the chain of ownership on your home. If you don’t have them, or can’t find them, you can check on the digital HM Land Registry.

6. Fittings and Contents Form (TA10)

The TA10 form is arguably one of the most important documents. It will clearly state what is to be included in the sale of your house, e.g, whether white goods, furniture, light fittings etc. It’s broken down on a room-by-room basis so everyone involved is on the same page and knows exactly what is included in the sale. The TA10 also includes garden and outdoor spaces.

7. Property and Information Form (TA6)

Like with the TA10, the TA6 is a very important form! It’s a big one but is a necessary evil. It covers everything from land boundaries, ongoing complaints and disputes with neighbours and information on any current tenants. Check out our blog detailing what you need to include in the TA6.

8. FENSA Certificates for Windows and Doors

If you’ve replaced any windows or doors since 2002, then you’ll have received a FENSA certificate. You may need to supply this when you sell your house. It’s worth getting your EPC done first before searching too hard for this certificate as you may be required to replace any old windows and doors to improve your energy rating.

9. Replacement Boiler

You’ll need to provide all information and documentation received if you’ve had a new boiler installed. At a minimum, you’ll need to provide the gas safety certificate. These should be done yearly and buyers are within their right to request a new or in date gas safety certificate before the deal is completed.

10. Electrical Certificates

If you’ve had anything rewired or any electrical replacements installed then you’ll need the appropriate certificates. You can get these from the electrician who did the work or employ another electrician to supply the building regulations compliance certificate or an electrical safety certificate. These are absolutely necessary when the goal is selling your house fast.

11. Alterations and Extension Documentation

If you checked out our blog on how to add value to your property, then you may have added an extension or altered your property in some way. You will need to provide proof that you sought the proper legal permissions before doing so, e.g. planning permission. 

Feeling Overwhelmed?

Selling your house/property can be extremely overwhelming! However, your estate agent will be there to guide you and make sure you understand everything that’s happening. If you’re considering selling, why not contact us for a quote?

We have over 10 years of experience selling homes in Herne Bay and the surrounding Kent areas and our expert estate agents will be there to support you through your journey.

Similar Posts